Friday, May 18, 2012

No Way, I Can't Be Pregnant!

I think that title caught your attention, didn't it?!  Tsismosa!  Actually, this would make my mom ecstatic!  Hahaha.

I've been hearing about Cohenites complaining about the side effects of this weight-loss wonder diet.  My cousin experienced headaches.  I think this usually happens in the first couple of days into the program.  I'm guessing these headaches are just the same as those regular hunger headaches.  Not much to be concerned about because your body will adjust to the food portions in a couple of days.

Many experience hair loss.  At the clinic, the consultants recommend a daily intake of Biotin.  This should solve the problem but it takes a while for the effects of Biotin to manifest.

I experienced dry skin.  So I simply applied lotion in the morning after a shower and at night before bedtime.  This seemed to work quite well.  The dry skin spell lasted a couple of days and is now gone.

The most concerning side effect was losing my period.  Since the age of 12 I've gotten my period every single month, no fail.  Then on my Refeeding month, I missed my period.  This was really worrisome especially since I can guarantee that I am not pregnant.


Having been delayed for 3 weeks, I visited the doctor last Monday morning.  I told her my concern and also mentioned that I had lost a drastic amount of weight in the last 3 months.  She asked how I did it and I told her about Cohen.  I told her that I started at 141 lbs last January and I'm now 107 lbs.  She was amazed and said that she's about 141 lbs too.  I won' be surprised if she'd be calling the Cohen clinic anytime soon :).

Back to my period... The Og-Gyn said that kind of weight loss would surely cause some hormonal imbalance just like exercise and stress.  It was not unusual.  She gave me a prescription for some pills to take for 5 days.  She said that in 2 weeks, I should get my period; and if not, I'd have to see her again.  I meant to buy those pill right after my doctor's visit but because of the traffic, I decided to do it in the afternoon instead.  Well, that was a pretty good decision because when I got home that same day, I got my period.  I guess my ovaries just needed a little scare from the doctor :).

I think we shouldn't be too concerned about the side effects of this diet.  I've had worse side effects with the other diets.  Have you tried the Atkins Diet?  That diet gave you bad breath.  How about Xenical?  That pill's effect was filthy!  Imagine men buying sanitary napkins because they're taking Xenical. Bangkok Pills?  There were some packs that did wonders for me.  I actually didn't mind the palpitations and the increased energy but there was this final batch that gave me headaches.  That was the end of those pills for me!  I'd say Cohen is the healthiest, most sustainable eating lifestyle thus far.  Their motto is simple:  "Let food be your medicine".  And this diet has given me the best side effect:  a 25-inch waistline!





1 comment: