Saturday, April 13, 2013

To Exercise or Not To Exercise?

Before Cohen (BC), this is how my weekly workout schedule looked:

Monday:  Tennis(drills)
Tuesday:  Jog
Wednesday:  rest
Thursday:  Jog
Friday:  Tennis (doubles)
Saturday:  Yoga
Sunday:  Jog

I tired the South Beach Diet when I was still playing tennis regularly.  On the diet, I noticed that I simply did not have the energy to do sports.  I didn't even have energy to jog.  My friend, Sharon, did the South Beach Diet too and also lacked the energy to play tennis.  I just knew this wasn't the diet for me.


Obviously, there are people who simply do not exercise.  They never have and they do not intend to.  I remember when my cousin-in-law, Nikki, first told me about the Cohen Diet.  She said it was the best diet because it did not require her to exercise at all.

But I don't exercise just to lose weight.  Ok, let me rephrase that, 75% of the reason I used to exercise was because I wanted to lose weight but the 25% was because I wanted to be limber and to feel young.  For those who do exercise, I'm sure you know what I mean.  It's that great feeling you get after exercise.  It's an endorphin rush!

Before I began my Eating Plan (EP), I was scheduled for a colonoscopy.  As I was laying in the operating table waiting for the anesthesia to set in, the doctor put his stethoscope on my chest and listen to my heartbeat.  Then looked up and said, "are you an athlete?".  Wow, what a complement!  I almost did not proceed with the Cohen diet (hahahaha)!

So when the consultant told me that I may continue exercising during the EP provided I  do it in moderation, I struggled with the question on whether or not to exercise.  It was such a difficult decision because whenever I stopped playing for just a week, my game always suffered.  On the other hand, I was intent on losing weight.  I feared that if I continued exercising, I might feel hunger pangs and get tempted to deviate from my EP.  So I sacrificed my game and resolved not to exercise until I reached my goal weight.

For four whole months, I did not exercise.  I replaced my exercise time with food preparation time.  I simply concentrated on my EP.  It was amazing!  I was losing weight faster than when I used to exercise.  In a month, my clothes started to fit better.  The buttons of my blouse weren't popping.  And as the months went by, my pants were starting to loosen.  Eventually, I had to put on a belt just to keep my pants up!

Eventually I had to get rid of my old workout clothes and buy new ones.  I now buy my clothes from the Small and X-Small racks.  When I shop for clothes now, I love hearing myself say, "Miss, masyadong malaki, paki check naman kung may Small":)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bunny ---- I love reading about your Cohen journey. I also play tennis, but had to stop because of Cohen. Quick question... where do you play tennis? Looking for a hard court sana as I get allergies in soft shell due to the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bettina. I play at the Makati Sports Club --- hard court! I'm a morning person so I do all my exercise in the morning. If you're an early riser, I'd be glad to invite you to play. We can play doubles :)

    ReplyDelete