Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Source: Cartimar Market

Where is the best place to buy fruits and vegetables?  Some will say Salcedo Weekend Market; others, Landmark Supermarket or Rustan's Supermarket.  Well I say, the Cartimar Market.


Many vendors in Cartimar supply the supermarkets and many of the restaurants in the city.  So, it's best to just go directly to the source.  Best time to go is early in the morning to get the freshest produce. What time in the morning?  About 6:30 to 7:00 a.m.  It's not only cheaper than the supermarkets, you can even haggle, it you want.  All the vegetables you'll need for the Eating Plan are available. 


Asparagus

Pechay

Broccoli

Oyster Mushrooms


And more mushrooms

Since many Korean nationals shop in this market, you will always find shitake and enoki mushrooms here.  The last time I bought a bag of enochi mushrooms, it was selling for Php 65.00/bag.

There is also a constant supply of Cohen-approved fruits.  This morning I found plums selling for Php 280.00/kilo.


I have been avoiding eating too much red meat because I get aches and pains the next day every single time I eat red meat.  Instead I now buy a lot of seafood.  I have my favorite fish mongers who have the freshest produce


Prawns and Salmon

Squid

Sole fish

Whatever fish head you want
If you want fresh native chicken, you can't get it any fresher than at Cartimar.  They'll get you a live one and dress it for you if you want.  In my case, Magnolia is fine with me :)

This morning my mom wanted a 1.5-kilo chicken to steam for lunch today.  The vendor's biggest available dressed chicken was about 1.3 kilos.  I shrieked when my mom said to find one from the cage.  Good thing she opted to just get a Magnolia bagged chicken from the adjacent store.

I wonder what these caged chickens are thinking
Across the Wet Market there is a Tofu store that sells all soya products including soya milk.  Pre-Cohen, my brother and I would have flavored taho with sago for breakfast after our marketing.  I think I can do that again since taho is protein, right?



Beside the taho store, you'll also find a couple of Japanese and Korean grocery stores.  Here you can find an array of green teas. 



For those on Maintenance, on your diet-free days, you should try the Korean ice-cream with monggo that is shaped like a fish.  Ang sarap!



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, Pau. I should have woken you up this morning :)

      Delete
  2. hello bunny,
    my husband shared your blog with me as I am about to start my Cohen diet. I just came from the Philippines and I was really impressed with how my friends lost weight though this diet... so here I am trying to do it rin heheh.
    Congratulations... and thank you for the inspiration. Will peruse your blog for tips and inspiration.
    thanks,
    malou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malou. great to know my blog can be of help :)

      Delete