Sunday, March 25, 2012

I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane

The biggest challenge of any Cohenite is getting on an airplane.  More so if it's a long haul flight.

I'm on Refeeding and this is tougher than the Eating Plan because meal allowances change everyday depending on whether or not yesterday's food combination made me gain weight.  Every morning, I always check my weight before preparing my meals.

Today, my flight is at 12:45 pm.  This gives me enough time to prepare my flight meals.  Even if I have requested for gluten-free meals on board, I'd rather make baon to ensure I stay deviation free.

I woke up at 6:00 am, weighed myself and prepared my breakfast.  Since today's meal allowance calls for an additional 80 to 90 grams of protein and another 80 to 90 grams of vegetables, I've decided to eat eggs and vegetables for breakfast instead of my staple yogurt and mangoes.  This way I can spread out the veggie and protein allowances over 3 meals instead of 2.  I should emphasize that at this point of the diet, I am overwhelmed by the amount of food I MUST eat.

 A flight from Manila to New York usually takes me 22 to 24 hours door-to-door.  This means I should prepare 3 meals.  These meals must not spoil easily, nor should it be saucy.  I will also need to pack these in light, airtight containers.  Good thing our dear friend, Anna Rod, gave us a set of 3 Lock & Lock plastic food containers that come in an insulated bag.  During my Dad's time, this would have been called "pimbrera".  Here's the modern-day pimbrera



Here is what I prepared:

Meal 2:  Thai Chicken Patties with Sautéed Veggies.  This is one of the simplest dishes to prepare, especially with a food processor;  and easiest to pack because it is dry.  Simply mince chicken in the food processor.  Chop  garlic, onion, fresh coriander and toss in with the minced chicken.  Sprinkle salt, pepper and cumin.  Mix everything and then form into patties that will fit into your food container.  I ended up with 3 flat sausages.  Grilled them and packed into a Lock & Lock with sautéed veggies.

Meal 3:  Seafood and Chicken with Sautéed Veggies.  I figured seafood will not sit in the freezer long enough for my return trip so I decided to cook all the remaining seafood in the freezer.  Good thing there was just enough to cover my protein allowance for the day.  Even better, at this point of the Refeeding Plan, I can already combine proteins.

I cubed some shrimp, squid and chicken.  Grilled and sprinkled with salt & pepper then tossed in some veggies.  I packed this in  Lock & Lock container number 2.

Meal 1:  This meal is the following day's breakfast meal.  I don't like eggs unless it's freshly cooked so I will risk packing yogurt.  I plan to pack the yogurt in the insulated bag together with my day's fruit allowance.  To ensure it's freshness, this insulated bag will also have blue ice in it.



Here's my airplane baon: 




And here it is all packed and ready for boarding 



2 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm on the Cohen diet and I'll also be going on a trip to the US soon. I was wondering if you had any problems with bringing the food onboard? Did they question you about it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha. First off, congratulations on your decision to take on the Cohen journey!

    I had no problems at all taking my food onboard. However, I'd suggest that you make arrangements in advance with your airline for the gluten-free diet. Do this just in case your food is not allowed onboard. Enjoy your trip!

    P.S. While in the US, take advantage of the fruits and vegetables that aren't available in the Philippines to spice up your meals :). I'd even do a lot of turkey meals since it's not a staple in the Philippines. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete